Was at Indian Caves for Labor Day. We had planned for a 3 night, fun, family getaway together. Something we have not done since we have moved here over a year ago. And camping was one of our most favorite things to do together back in Oregon. So we decided to give Nebraska camping a try. And last year we noticed that you can pretty much only go camping in the Fall. It's too cold in the winter; spring is the Tornado season..best to stay near home, summer way too humid...and well that leaves, Fall being just right!
Cooking and Roasting:
Here was our fabulous cook, getting breakfast ready for us all. The children’s' favorite part of the whole camping experience was our evenings by the campfire roasting smores. They looked forward to it every day we were there.
Hiking and Biking:
We went on family hikes, brought our bikes and had family bike rides, at and around the campground. We also viewed a special firework display for Labor Day, put on by the campground, which was a huge hit for the kids, but they were super tired from the days activities that halfway through it they wanted to go back to our camp site and go to bed. And the terrible parents that we are made them stay up to watch it; (the whole thing was only 45mins long.)


From the distance it is a very pretty River, but up close it is a rather gross view, very mudding and kind of smelly. I was worried that one of the kids would fall in, so I told Eric if that happened he would be the one that would have to jump in, not me...yuck!

The Indian Caves:
We sadly discovered that it is not like the caves in the NW that you can actually walk through, but it is more like an over hang of a side of a small mountain, yet the biggest one you'll see in Nebraska.

Summing up:
Summing up:
So, pretty much it was kind-of fun, we had to leave a whole day and a half early do to unfun visitors that we were all exposed too....TICKS!! Yup, you know it, those terrible Nebraska buggies. I have grown up camping all my life on the West coast and never did I ever see or know about ticks, other than they were on dogs. It was just not a worry. I suppose you can call me the Queen of all tick knowledge now...I know just about everything and anything there is to know about them...so if you have a question about them feel free to ask me. We left with an average all together of about 200 ticks all over us. And they weren't the big ones that we have gotten here and there earlier when we first moved here, those are Wood Ticks. We got the incredibly small ticks that look like little brown freckles; those are the Deer Ticks that just so happen to carry Lime Disease. So I get to take all my kids in now to get check for Lime Disease...so much fun! Yippy, I can't wait. Some how the kids have forgotten all about these terrible buggies, as they watched the family video that I taped of them camping. Because they all said that they wanted to go back, and how much they miss that camp site. I guess what it all comes down too, is that I was the only one that was greatly disturbed by this "FUN" camping trip. Most likely we won't be going camping again here in Nebraska; we will probably have to save those kinds of things for the West Coast when we move back in less than 2 years.
8 comments:
Friend!
Each time I look at your blog... I can't believe how your kids are growing... your camping pictures look awesome! I will miss this wonderful weather! You are great! thanks for sharing your life with me... Crystal
Yeah, the camping isn't so hot in Nebraska. We just went to Two Rivers, we had a lot of fun, and the kids really built some fun memories, but I still miss camping in the mountains.
200 ticks? That is horrible. Man, good luck on the Lyme Disease testing
At least the kids had fun, right?!? Schedule a "camping trip" in the Family Room...you're kids will love it and you can stay tick free! It's great reading about your family. I can't believe how grown up the kids are!
I'm so sorry the trip was a bummer for you. At least the kids had fun, right? Did you really have 200 ticks? Yuck!
You are amazing-- going camping with a tiny baby and then having this ordeal. Camping is super fun but I don't think I would be camping anymore either! Hopefully you will be back in the great northwest soon. :)
I know it sounds like yeah right that's just a ton, but seriously I was telling the truth, we really did have that much . It was terrible!!
It only matters if this kids had fun. :) I love reading your stories!
Post a Comment