Friday, April 4, 2008

Baby Dilemma

3D Ultra sound picture.
The OB-tech couldn't get a clear picture of his face. He wouldn't move away from the cord. But we still got to capture part of his cute face.

So our doctor told us that "baby boy" is about 2 weeks bigger size-wise than suppose to be. Plus were we noticing some abnormal quickening, so we did an ultra sound to detect all the actually facts. Ended up the baby was indeed on the larger size, weighing about 7lbs right now. And still 3 1/2 weeks left to go. The OB-tech said that a baby gains about 1/2 pound per week in the last month. Meaning that this baby could be a 9, almost 10 pounder. However, they did say their estimate could be off give or take a pound. YIKES! So dilemma, Question: would you prefer to just go into labor naturally knowing that your baby would be healthy but be larger than expected, or would you choose to be induced a week earlier to help prevent from having a large baby to deliver, but knowing that there could be health problems if baby is not yet ready? Any advice would be appreciated. I have heard that being induced is REALLY unfun, and I have always gone into labor on my own. Just being able to do most of the labor at home has always been nice, I really like it that way. Thankfully there are NO abnormalities with the baby; the baby is very healthy and strong. Yet with the 3D ultra sounds now'n'days they can get really good pictures of the babies inside, the OB tech said this boy has a lot of hair. And I can testify to that because of all the terrible heartburn I have been having lately...ouch!
So I have made a poll for you to vote on what you would do. So please vote or respond to this post.
P.S Friends and Family have been asking me what I needed, and I couldn't tell them anything because I wasn't able to get out all the baby items until April 1st. So, for those that are still interested in wanting to know what we need, I have registered at Target. Feel Free to look, but don't feel obligated to purchase anything. I already know that I have all your love and support as dear friends and family.=)Thanks Everyone!!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Friend...
I was induced... but I have only have one child so I don't have anything to compare it to. Abigale was born a week early. They told me contractions are harder when your induced, but here again.. I don't have anything to comepare it to.. You are in my prayers...
Crystal

Lauren said...

I was induced with Ben at 38 weeks. As long as the baby is 37 weeks gestation, the baby is going to be fine. He's full term then. Being induced isn't so bad. You get the epidural sooner. Though, if they do break your water, you're stuck in the bed until the baby comes. I wasn't induced with Charlotte, but I didn't think it was any harder than Ben. And Ben's head was so big, I had to push for 40 minutes. You could end up with a C Section if you wait. And recovery is so hard for a C Section!

Leisa Waldron said...

I wasn't induced with either of the girls, although they both came early. But with Laney the labor was longer and I like to blame it on the fact they put me on Pitocin because I wasn't progressing. But if it were me, I would probably go a week early, the baby will be fine you are already considered full term by week 37...and you might have a better recovery too!

Brittany said...

I say INDUCE!! It's not that bad, honestly! It'll go wuick, considering it's your 4th too! Get that big boy outta there!! You poor thing! Can't wait to see his cute face! (although that picture is pretty cool...) love ya and GOOD LUCK!!

Anonymous said...

didn't see this earlier, but glad you let things go naturally. Your body is amazing and know what it is doing!! They wanted to induce me with Brianna for the same reason, but I opted out. If there was something wrong or a need to get the baby out sooner I would have. She was 8lbs 9oz and 21 inches long (2 weeks early) It's funny because I had the doctors appointment Wed, and I was in full blown labor on Friday...LOL guess I didn't have to wait to long! We went in at 2pm and she was born at 6:05pm. You are brave!! I am too chicken to get an epi!!