Monday, August 27, 2007

Homeschool Smiles


















We are back in school here in Lincoln Nebraska. Public School started on the 20th here, however we started school the 1st week of August. And the kids love doing their school work at home, not to mention that I love it as well. It is the most enjoyable, rewarding service that I can do for my children. I am feeling must closer to my children, not just because I choose to be a mother, but because I am also choosing to be a loving teacher. I am finally able to have more one on one time with Liahona, my middle child. I never got one on one time with her, even when she was born, and I am glad to be able to fill that hole now. She has been a really big Daddy's girl, which technically wouldn't be bad, but she would never let me help her with anything: brushing her teeth, reading her a book, sitting next to her... she always wanted her dad's help over mine. I am proud to say that within these 3weeks, she is finally coming to me when she needs help, and she will sit next to me and hold my hand. Which has brought tears to my eyes many times. So I am very thankful for the this time to be together doing school at home with the children. We have been doing lots of fun projects. The one hanging mobile is from their science lesson about Tornado, and lighting storms. Since we are living in the Midwest, I felt that it is important for them to learn about the types of weather conditions, that do and can take place here. There are weird, dry Thunderstorms here that seem to appear out of nowhere that go all through the summer. We thought they were fun at first because they were new, then after awhile the kids grew to be sacred of them, and I however grew to be annoyed by them. The lighting lights up the sky all night long, making it really hard to sleep during the night, and then amazing enough it goes away for the day, and then usually starts right back up at night again.
Last week we got a really bad thunder and lighting storm, that placed our City on a tornado watch. That was really scary, especially after just teaching to children about tornado's and telling them that Tornado's don't come into Lincoln. (This is because Lincoln sits down in a bowl, and the tornado stay up on top and just go around Lincoln.) But it was good to have explained to the children before hand what we would need to do to be safe if one did come. So we were prepared, Thankfully the storm died down, and the Tornado warning was not in effect anymore.

We sure are learning lots here, it has already been rather eventful.
Eric has started school this week, and we are glad to get this going.
Our house still has not sold, which is making things rather tight, but faith, prayers, and trust are so far holding us together in spite this confusing and frustrating time.
Other than that we are going well here in Lincoln Nebraska...(by the way I still think it's weird that I am actually here.)

1 comment:

Angela said...

I am so glad to see that you guys are having so much fun homeschooling! This year, I also found it special to spend the much needed time with my 2nd child.